Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Skyline Drive




We had Brett's parents here this last week to celebrate his upcoming birthday.  It was great to have them around to savor the Fall Season with us.  We wanted to do something fun and different while they were here so I looked into different options. I had heard that Skyline Drive was a beautiful place to visit with the changing leaves, so we loaded in the car and headed for the hills.  At first I was hesitant to leave because it was foggy and rainy, but I am so glad we went because it was breathtaking.  We saw spectacular views of the Shenandoah Valley, with patches of fog enfolding the ground below. It made the mountains seem a wee bit bigger as they peaked up through the clouds, even though they still don't compare to the West. Abby liked driving through past the changing leaves as we wound around the mountainside.  We were even able to visit my new favorite place to pick fruit, Hartland Farm. (Thanks Michelle for introducing us to this place.)  They had freshly squeezed Apple Cider, crates full of freshly picked apples, and mounds of bright orange pumpkins.  Mmmm.  The owners of the farm also told us that we needed to experience the taste of an apple donut in the Fall. I am not a donut fan, but I have now been converted.  The apple donut was heavenly.  Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. We had a great day and definitely enjoyed soaking in the fresh air.






 






As you can see, Kate loves to eat leaves.  



Mmmmm.....Apples.  


Picking out pumpkins.





There were parts of the drive that felt a little eerie with the fog...perfect for Halloween.




 


Cheers to the Fall!  My favorite season.


5 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

What a gorgeous drive! I haven't ever even heard of an apple donut (is that what they're called?) I'm a donut fan, so it sounds good. The fresh apple juice sounds amazing. I love all of the pictures.

browniemom said...

It is gorgeous back east! Hope you are enjoying your time back there. What a great experience. I'm glad you get lots of vistors!Love your pictures!

Sarah said...

Gorgeous!! Makes me miss the east, just a little bit :)

NaDell said...

Shoot. I was going to say gorgeous too...
Great pictures! I'm so thankful for blogs so we can all keep in touch!

Lauren said...

Beautiful pictures! I love Skyline Drive. It's the perfect way to get into the spirit of fall. And I'm especially glad you liked the apple donuts - I think they are simply amazing. All that cinnamon and sugar on the outside...yum!

Blog Archive