Monday, October 24, 2011

Hot Air Balloon Festival




Every year Virginia holds a Hot Air Balloon Festival near the Shenandoah Valley. Our friends Nic and Anabel introduced us to it this year and we hope to keep it a tradition because it was a lot of fun.  I never realized how huge these balloons really are in person. Sadly, they didn't last long because the wind came and they had to put them down. Either way, it was sure worth getting up extra early in the morning to see them blow up and enjoy a pretty sunrise over the valley.  The festival had TONS of activities for the kids, including Monster Truck rides, blow-up toys, parades and a petting zoo.  Abby was in heaven.  We love savoring the Fall.  



 






We had to bring the kite and try it out on the fields of green.


Here are the boys enjoying an intense race.


LAWN MOWER RACES!?!  
That's right, you read it correctly, lawn mowers. These races were definitely the hit of the day and were not taken lightly.  The men in the race took this event very seriously.  Testosterone levels were at a high as we watched them spin around the corners, revving their engines as they went. One engine started to smoke, which led a mom to come running out on the track with cups of water to put it out. Oh my goodness, I could have been entertained for hours. Welcome to the Western part of Virginia friends.  


 The girls enjoyed the parade of old fire trucks. 


 And, of course the petting zoo with Grandma.



 They even had an Old Car Show which I loved.








The lawn mower races.
(Just ignore me talking to Brett, I didn't realize I was recording.)


Shake Those Hips Abbers.




4 comments:

Scott and Stacia said...

That looks like so much fun :) So glad you were able to go.

Our family said...

That looks like such fun! My family used to go to the Tetons to watch the hot air races in July. Such wonderful memories! We'll have to go next year. I didn't realize that they had something like that so close! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah said...

Lol- lawn mower races. Only in western Virginia :) Such good pictures! Looks like a blast!

Michelle said...

Wow! I'm glad that you made it! It looks like a wonderful time. The pic of the girls with the butterfly balloons on their backs is SO cute.

Blog Archive