Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Apples, Spice and Everything Nice!

It's officially Fall! To start off the season, I decided to head to Maryland to go apple picking with my friends. While our husbands were at school and work, we headed out to the orchards with buckets and wheelbarrows to find the perfect apples. All the kids had a great time picking apples, including the mushy ones that had fallen to the ground. :) After sweating through an unexpectedly hot day, we headed back with our many buckets of apples.
When we arrived home, we decided to be adventurous and attempted to can many of the apples we picked. I think we were a little over ambitious, because we found that canning apples takes a lot of time. We found ourselves peeling, cutting and smashing an eternal sea of apples, making it a very fun but vigorous workout. :) We did have a wonderful time!
There is nothing better than the smell of apples, cinnamon and sugar on a Fall day! I love this time of year!

As you can see, Abby decided to sleep during most of the apple picking. She did enjoy checking out the sights when she was awake in her Bjorn.













Here's Katie reaching for the best ones. Little Miss Sadie helped find the good ones. :)









We even made a trip to see the animals at the end of the adventure. Here is lil' Joe enjoying a moment with the goats.

6 comments:

ellen said...

Love your photos and your apple picking report. We have been doing the same thing here in Utah. The Hansen kids helped us pick and make apple crisp last week. Today I boiled large apple slices with the skins and made apple juice. Then I blended the soft apple slices, skins and all, into apple sauce. It was the very lazy way to do it, but aren't the skins healthy?

Dave said...

Lovin the BabyBjorn hook-up Zelbs!

Anonymous said...

Emily you are an inspiration and joy!! I love the fall too. Dad and I canned apples once, maybe twice.

Squirrel said...

What a wonderful entrance to fall! Looks like you had a great outing.

Its a young life.... said...

That looks like such fun! Erin and Little Joe look really happy also! You all are great moms! Tell Erin hi for me, since her blog is private. :)

MOM THE BOMB said...

Wow, Emz, you're pretty ambitious. Looks like little Abby is doing well, too. I sure miss fall! Enjoy!

Blog Archive