Sunday, March 17, 2013

Big Girl


This girl has to be one of the easiest kids to potty train.  I am in shock.  Honestly, I was avoiding potty training because I really don't like it AT ALL, but really, who does?!  When I trained Abby I tried to push her too soon and that turned into a disaster.  So, with Kate, I just plain avoided it. I dreaded the moment I needed to break down and train her. Well, she has been asking since November to go on the potty like a big girl.  I didn't want to start training and then move across the country so we avoided it at the time.  When we moved to Austin she continued to ask me and I kept trying to push it off with excuses (basically because I'm a wimp when it comes to this department. ) She continued to ask until one day I decided to break down and face it.  In fact, why not, we're still renting and I would rather teach her in this rental than in the house. ;)  (That's not very nice of me to do to the apartment is it?)  We made a day of it and I was really surprised when she grasped onto it so quick.  The difference between her and Abby is I was forcing Abby to learn too soon and Kate wanted to learn.  Poor Abby has to be my experiment for so many 'firsts.'  Anyway, we are basically accident free after a week and I am one happy momma.  I know we still have a ways to go down the road, but she has made huge progress and is so excited to be wearing big girl panties all day long with basically no accidents.  The only problem I am facing now is that I shouldn't have given her an M&M or a jelly bean each time she successfully went to the bathroom. She has now learned to 'work the system' with her rewards. She knows if she just goes 'a little,' lots of times, she gets more treats. Hmmmm. Now to wean her of the bribes....wish me luck on that.  But Hallelujah, we have success with one of my least favorite projects. :)
Way to go Kate!





7 comments:

browniemom said...

Hurray for Kate, (and her momma)!

NaDell said...

Yea! It's almost better when they are begging to be big. =) I say that if she's smart enough to work the system, let her. Maybe switch to mini m&ms. =)

Lauren said...

Go Kate!! Natalie is working on it too, though we're definitely not getting it as quickly as Kate has. Maybe Kate will give Natalie a little positive peer-pressure!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So smart!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! So smart!

Mama Chick said...

Give her treats for staying dry, not for going on the potty :)

Bexie Funk said...

go kate! i'm with you wait until they beg to do it and its 10x easier!

Blog Archive