Wednesday, October 13, 2010

'Funny Belly'

The other day we were getting Abby ready for bed and she looked at me and said this:

"Mommy, your belly funny, you need fix it." -Abby

...At least she tells the truth, holding nothing back. Apparently she has noticed some changes in my abdomen.
If you ask Abby where the baby is, she will point to HER belly, push it way out, point to herself and say: "Baby here."

Do you think she gets it? I think this little girl is in for a big surprise and life change in December. Little does she know what Santa is going to bring her. We're excited. I will admit I'm getting nervous about how Abby is going to deal with the permanent newcomer. Any tips on how to help a two year old cope with a new sibling? I was horrible to my brother when he was born. There are legends about me torturing him, though I claim to have been 'helping' him. I'm a bit scared for the livelihood of Abby's little sister.

6 comments:

Cali said...

I'm excited for you to have another little girl. It's double the fun- literally! I think you'll be surprised how fast it seems normal to Abby. At least that's how it was with Addie (she was a little younger though). Before she knew it, it was her new normal. It's been great. She is occasionally too much help- and it's so great at being soft enough- but you'll do great. Abby will become your little helper, getting you diapers, etc. She'll love it.

Addie also has a little stroller and a baby that she got around the time that Claire came- so we diaper our babies, feed our babies, nap our babies, and take our babies for walks together all the time. :)

NaDell said...

I agree with the making her your little helper.
You can also read stories or have her color close by you while you nurse (it's good for the baby to get used to distractions...)
She might like a little gift from the baby at the hospital (who wouldn't?)
When our kids start saying they have a baby in their tummy, we tell them that they just have tickles in their tummy and then tickle them. Only mommies can have babies in their tummies. =)
She'll figure it out. Relax about it and it will go easier. Don't leave her alone either though, just in case.

Michelle said...

A baby doll came home from the hospital with Sophie's new baby brother. She thought it was great! Then we could do everything with our babies together.
Some days she did struggle with sharing my attention, so I would let her be 'mommy's baby' again by wrapping her up in a blanket and rocking her. Maybe that sounds strange, but after a few minutes of being rocked like a baby, she was ready to be my big girl again!
Overall, the adjustment wasn't terrible like I thought it would be!!

Bexie Funk said...

i can't imagine you ever torturing anyone. caroline didn't like having either of her brothers join the family, but devin was in heaven when graham was born. i think it just depends on the kid. good luck!

The Shumards said...

You said it, kids are very truthful. After I had Lincoln Kyler kept asking if I was going to have another baby because my stomach was still big.-thanks kyler. At least now he says remember when your tummy was so big? Gotta love it.
We always get a gift for each of the kids thats from baby. When they meet their sibling for the first time we let the baby "hand" the gift to each sibling. We also have several books that talk about bringing home a new baby. We read these during the last few months so they know what is coming. It also helps if you have them help you put the nursery together and get everything ready. You could even let her pick out what outfit her new sister will come home in. No matter what-Abby's heart will melt and so will yours when she holds her sister for the first time.

Vee said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! I've always found it helpful to have a grandma, aunts, cousins or adopted grandma around to help ease the transition of having a new person in the house. They could focus on the older child while boring mom took care of the crying baby. Although I did find a difference between 3 and 2 1/2. Monkey who was 3 did fine adjusting to Bug. Bug who was 2 1/2 also did fine with Lala, but she wouldn't talk to me for a couple of weeks. She may have been upset with me, but it didn't last long. It'll be great!

Blog Archive