Sunday, March 9, 2008

'I Luv New York'


Do we look like tourists?? (Maybe the T-shirts give us away.) We decided to be adventurous this weekend and head on a two-day get-away to NYC. The adventure started early Friday morning as we waited to load the Chinatown bus. The 4-hour bus ride wasn't too bad, with only a brief 20 min. stop to wait for one of the passengers to buy her breakfast at McDonalds. :) As we approached NYC we could see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building from a distance. Once we were off the bus, we were walking non-stop to see the big city. We loved every minute of our brief trip to New York and we can't wait to hopefully go back again.









On Friday we were able to see a bit of Chinatown and Little Italy, giving us a small taste of each country. Chinatown smelled like fish and was swarming with women in search to buy the perfect purse. Bargaining with the Chinese was a blast and we even came out with some 'great deals.' Unfortunately for the Chinese, several of their businesses have been shut down by the government because of legal issues, but it appears they are finding other ways to still sell illegally. :)

After visiting Chinatown, we took the Subway to Ground Zero. Ground Zero was a humbling experience. We were able to see the remains of the World Trade Center and view the names of those who were killed. Flags were hung all around the area of the World Trade Center. There was a small church across the street from Ground Zero with pictures of those who had died with remains from September 11th.












Visiting at Ground Zero really made all of the events of September 11th seem very real. There was a Bell of Hope given to New York to honor those who had died.









We also saw the remains of a very old tree that was toppled over from the rubble of the Twin Towers.









A Memorial is being built in place of the World Trade Center to remember those who had died and the heroes from September 11th.

Friday night we wanted to truly experience NYC by going to a Broadway show. We were able to get a really good deal to see the musical, 'Legally Blond.'









The music and sets on Broadway were amazing! During the show we were surrounded by many teenage girls screaming and clapping, it was a lot of fun to be a part of everything.

Saturday morning we headed off early to see the Rockefeller Center, NBC Headquarters, Times Square, Central Park, Empire State Building, New York Stock Exchange, Trinity Church and the Statue of Liberty. New York is definitely the business headquarters of the nation. It was a rainy day in New York on Saturday, but seeing the sites of the sites of the city was definitely worth it. During the day we even got to experience entertainment in the Subway, from break-dancers to preachers.









Here is the ice skating rink at the Rockefeller Center and Brett with the NBC Turkey.
Here we are inside the Empire State Building. When we looked up at the Empire State, half of it was buried in the clouds because of the rainy day, it looked really cool.












Here we are near a small pond in the middle of Central Park. It was a pretty quiet day in Central Park and we enjoyed the beautiful walk. It was great to see trees again after walking through a sea of buildings. We even enjoyed a true New York hot dog after the morning walk.









We took a free ferry to Statton Island so that we could get a close-up look at the Statue of Liberty, she was a beautiful site. We are very glad the clouds cleared up so that we could see her.


Here is a brief video of the break-dancers in the Subway! A huge crowd gathered around to see .


And now the preaching chorus in the Subway...

15 comments:

Sarah said...

SOOOOOOOOOO cute!!! You guys did a good job, getting that all packed into one day. You'll have to tell me how you scored Broadway tickets -- that's the one thing we haven't done that's next on the list. I'm glad you went and had a good time!!

Elysa said...

I love that you saw Legally Blonde and wore the tourists shirts to the Statue of Liberty! Looks like you covered all your bases in NYC! Don't you love New York?

Marzipan said...

Emily!! I'm so glad I found your blog! (I hope you don't mind :). But that is so wonderful that you are pregnant! Our little girl is ten weeks old and it is just the best thing in the world! How are you feeling and everything?

Also, I love the pics from NYC. Jealous!

Shani said...

Talk about a marathon 2 day trip! It looks like you were able to do quite a bit! How fun. I would absolutely love to go back to NYC someday.

Angie said...

Sounds like you had a good time. Did you feel it was a dirty city? When I went it seemed dirty. I'm glad you had a great time. Quit hiding that belly you will regret it. Love ya ang

Scott and Stacia said...

Wow sounds like you guys had a great time. We were wanting to head up to NYC in December but decided it was too cold. However we did go to Boston and saw some break dancers that were very similar to the ones you video taped. Thanks for telling us all about it so we know what to do when we do go :)

Brookeh said...

This looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Where did you end up staying?

The Giles said...

Geesh, I haven't talked to you in awhile. Vermont, then NYC - the city that I love. How much fun!!! And your belly is cute. There's NO WAY you look like you are having twins. Congrats on the girl!

Michelley said...

What a fun trip! Cool!

Poland said...

Emily,
I came across your blogspot! Congrats on your pregnancy! So, you guys live in New York? My husband is from New York and we are planning on coming out there this summer!
Katie (Herem) Poland
katiecupcake1@gmail.com

Lincoln and Alisia said...

I love the NYC pics! PS we need to meet up sometime! Maybe a sunday dinner in the next month or so???

Scott and Stacia said...

Also congrats on the pregnancy! So excited for you guys!

lindsi said...

Emily! I'm so glad you found us...and was so happy to see you left a comment on our blog. Where do you guys live? Looks like you had lots of fun out on the town...what an adventure! I was happy to hear you are expecting...you will be a great mom!

Harrop Family said...

Emily!!! My heart jumped with excitement when I saw you listed on Lindsi's blog page. Holy cow I need to get caught up with you. Congrats on your marriage, since I didn't even know about that, and way congrats on a baby!! What a wonderful life you have. Where do you live? Oh I have a hundred questions to ask you.
What a fun trip you guys had. I hope you are feeling well. Lots of love to you!

The Tilley Turf said...

HI EMILY.
JESSICA TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR BLOG. IT'S COOL. THIS IS TERRY TILLEY BY THE WAY. OUR BLOG IS http://tilleyturf.blogspot.com
YOU SHOULD CHECK IT OUT.

Blog Archive